Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"The Wolverine" Needs To Declaw

  Hugh Jackman stars as "The Wolverine" again. What a surprise [sarcasm]. He is a great actor and the Wolverine is probably the coolest X-Man, but I, for one, am growing tired of him being the main attraction in any X-Men movie. I liked "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" very much. Surprisingly, many people (approximately 50%) on the Internet did not like it and thought that "The Wolverine" was great. One guy that I argued with claimed that Wolverine/Logan being "mortalized" in "The Wolverine" made him more human-like and, therefore, connected with the audience better. I agree, but that did not make a difference in this "superhero" movie and, therefore, did not make the movie good. There were many reasons as to why it sucked. I should mention that I saw this movie with my dad and sister and they felt the same about it. Here's why:

  1. At least half of the movie was boring and drawn out. The love interest between Logan/Wolverine and the Japanese woman that he protects is easily foreseen, but not played out very well.
  2. Logan's constant fantasizing of his dead love interest from "X-Men 3: The Last Stand" (Jean Grey, played by Famke Janssen) was somewhat pointless. I understand that he was mourning, but it did not fit well into this storyline. Not to mention, she was always in a cleavage-showing pajama top, which made her appearances easier to watch, but had no real reason, just "eye candy".
  3. Most everyone, including myself, is familiar with and enjoys Logan's witty, sarcastic comments, which are usually said when he is angry or fighting. But, this movie lacked those comments. I can only remember 1 or 2.
  4. All good movies have a good, memorable villain, but this had 2 villains that were NOT good. The first one was the Viper; a blonde female genetic engineer, who barely appeared and died too quickly. The second was the Silver Samurai, which was pretty cool, but not a big thrill. Note: Wolverine says a witty comment when he throws the Silver Samurai over the cliff; "sayonara", which is "goodbye" in Japanese.
  5. With so many Asians and Logan/Wolverine being pretty much the only white man, it was not easy to sort out who was who because they look similar. No offense to Asian people. However, I did like the red-haired Japanese woman that was Logan's "body guard" because she stood out, not having black hair.
  6. The ninja fight scenes become boring after the first few, but you have to expect that when you are in Japan and the villains are "traditional".
I almost forgot to mention; the best part of the whole movie was the bullet train scene.
So, that's it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. 7.5/10 stars. Below is a theatrical trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment