Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

'John Carter' [Of Mars] Is Out Of This World

 
       Disney's John Carter is definitely the best movie of 2012 so far! It was an amazingly epic science-fiction, action movie. I wish that I had seen it in 3D and I didn't want it to end.  It was better than Avatar, Harry PotterTransformers, Rise of The Planet of The Apes, etc. (should I continue?). It wasn't perfect, but pretty close. Okay, I might be exaggerating a little, but you get the idea. I loved it.
      The fantastic story: goes like this: "Telegrammed" to Mars, a Civil War veteran Captain John Carter (played by Taylor Kitsch of Battleship, Savages, and the T.V. series Friday Night Lights) discovers a lush planet (Mars, or "Barsoom" in the Martian language) inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians ("Tharks"). Finding himself as a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter princess Deja Thoris (played by the beautiful Lynn Collins) who is in desperate need of a savior. In addition, Willem Dafoe plays as Tars Tarkas; a Thark (1 of the species on Mars) who befriends John Carter to help him fight a war for Deja Thoris.  If that doesn't get you excited to go see it, maybe this next piece of information will.
     It was directed and partly written by Andrew Stanton; the Oscar-winner who created such great movies as Toy Story 1, 2, & 3, WALL-E, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc., and A Bug's Life. John Carter is his first live-action movie and hopefully, not his last. The ending made way for a sequel, which I wanted to see right away. If he doesn't work on a sequel, I am going to go "great white ape" crazy.
       Inspired by this movie, I started reading the second book in the "Mars" series written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's called The Gods Of Mars and it's pretty good. By the way, John Carter is the novel A Princess Of Mars, if you are interested in reading it. Believe it or not, E.R.B.wrote this series and the Tarzan of the Apes series 100 years ago. Some people say that the movies Star Wars and Avatar owe their success to E.R.B. I have to agree, but also think that people would have thought of this stuff eventually as technology advanced.   I urge  you to see John Carter before you die. I give it 9.8/10 stars. Below is a theatrical trailer for your enjoyment:

No comments:

Post a Comment